View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

I had the same problem and I would also like to hear what others have learned. My practice has been all over the place at times. Currently, I am lucky because I sleep like ca-ca, waking up consistently between 3:00 and 4:19 am. Rather than battle that, I use it as my meditation time. I meditate for 30-60 minutes then crash on the couch for an hour. ('though, I skipped last night to watch the meteor shower - v/cool.) Since I have been sober I have been catching 15 to 20 minutes as soon as I get home. (My family has been great about accommodating this, my Great Dane not so much. I doubt even the Dali Lama could meditate through one of his wet willys.) Other things that have helped me:

-Guided meditation/hypnosis cds are a great teaching tool, but it is not really meditation.

-If you can find a yoga teacher that values savasana and does not yap too much.

-Autogenics: a completely secular meditation technique developed in Europe in the thirties is really quite wonderful. (The problem is that it is a six week program to learn autogenics and using other meditation techniques during that time is discouraged.)

- Another stroke of luck for me is that there is Soto Zen priori in my town that has scheduled Zazen which works with my schedule. I will probably do that more over the winter.

LaF, do you think your problem is motivation or technique?