Thread: My son
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I am so sorry NextRight, that your son has relapsed. It is very difficult to sit back and watch this happen to your loved one. I am sure you had such hope during the 11 and a half months he was sober and now probably feel no hope. But please remember that life is a journey and, like all the rest of us, your son is on HIS journey. It may not be the journey we would choose for him, but it is his to take whatever way he chooses. Everyone's life has ups and downs and right now looks like it is a down time for him. But it does not have to be a down time for you. Right now is a good time for you to practice detaching with love. Unfriending your son on Facebook is a really good way to practice detaching. When I practice detachment from a loved one who is relapsing, I try to avoid learning ANYTHING that is going on in their life. Have you gone to any Al-Anon meetings? At Al-Anon you learn the tools we need to deal with the alcoholics in our lives and we get such valuable support in our community. I hope you are feeling better soon.