Thread: Sick Mother
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You have found a terrific source of support and information. We offer support to the friend/family of alcoholics and other addicts. We have areas of support for alcoholics and addicts in recovery and those trying to quit. One thing we can not do, however, is give medical advice.

I can point you in the direction of help for yourself and your wife. You will find our stories and more in the permanent (sticky) posts at the top of this forum. I recommend reading all around this website to get information on alcoholism. I also highly recommend Alanon meetings for your family. Alanon meetings are face-to-face support group meetings for friends/family of alcoholics. Alanon is based on the 12 steps of AA.

I took care of my mother during her final phase of life. (She died from cancer). We took the legal steps needed to be sure her wishes were carried out. I was given power of attorney, medical power of attorney and had a DNR (do not resuscitate) order drawn up. My brother was made executor of her estate to handle the later affairs. I don't know if this is an option in your case, but I do recommend contacting an attorney. You may be able to find and attorney to give you a free consultation.

A doctor that understands addiction/alcoholism may be able to help you. The doctor can answer your questions about her health care and recommend treatment.

Based on your post, it appears your MIL is prone to fits of rage when she is craving alcohol. She is given alcohol as a reward or as a preventative to keep her from walking out the door? What is your plan for these episodes when she moves into your home?
Or is that the question? Are you looking for methods to control the rage? Are you looking for methods to control the cravings?

Let us know how we can help you.