Thread: Sick Mother
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Makeithappen

Sick Mother

My Mother-in-Law is an alcoholic, she was hospitalized a couple of months ago, and has started showing symptoms of early stages of wet brain syndrome and heart problems. Her husband (separated) came back and moved in to help care for her, but it seems he has alchohol issues of his own. He started off a great help at first, but then became very cruel and vindictive, verbally abusive, and has liquor in the house. My Mother-in-Law has started drinking again, even though the doctors say she will die if she keeps drinking.

My wife and I are moving her in with us, to provide a more positive healing environment. When she asks for beer, she doesn't ask us for liquor, but we have to make sure she doesn't come in contact with any, if we refuse, she will go into a rage to the point of breaking things, we will give in, and buy her a beer, for fear that she will try to walk to a liquor store on her own.

Her health is declined to the point where she is malnourished, disoriented, and has memory lapses, and health is rapidly declining. We are trying to find professional help, but most alcohol programs that we have contacted, don't deal with people with severe health issues.

If you guys can help us with any advice or info, we would greatly appreciate it. We are located in the Atlanta area, and getting are desparate.