Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Welcome to SR, Tinker!

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. What do his past actions tell you?

I am a recovering codependent, and a recovering alcoholic/addict.

Rehab gave me a good running start on recovery, and the tools to use out in the 'real world' to stay sober.

It takes two to take a marriage work, and it appears that you are the one doing all the work.

He's just doing what active alcoholics do, and therefore has no capacity to fully participate as a husband and father.

I commend you for taking yourself and your son out of that living situation, and giving both of you a safe place away from the active alcoholism. You are the only voice your son has.

I was absolutely terrified of being alone, and a single parent at that, so I stayed with my EXAH far too long.

What I can tell you is there is a big beautiful world out there, just waiting for you to step into it!

I have ended up raising two daughters by myself over the years, and have not been in any relationship for 11 years now because I made a commitment to myself to really address my codependency issues.

I have a wonderful support group through 12-step programs, am in my final year of college, and actively participate in my own recovery every day.

I am so glad you found us here at SR, and I hope you continue to post.