Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
topspin

Gneiss, Wasn't the D.A.R.E program implemented as part of Reagan's "war on drugs" thing in the 80's ?

Little late in the game for my generation. lo

Witnessing alcohol abuse at home in the late 60's ,
early 70's, ...the idea of smoking weed seemed like the perfect alternative. In my mind, heavy (out of control) drinking , and binge drinking , wouldn't fly , ... social drinking , along with some hootch, was very common with "our" friends back in the 70's. Pre-80's Cocaine popularity, pre-War on Drugs, etc.
Back then, there was the tribal thinking of : "us" and "them " when it came to friends.
" They cool ? " ....translated to: "Will they freak out if I pull out a hogleg, and fire it up ? " or;basically, ...can a person keep his pie hole shut, and not bring us trouble in the future ?

In my mind, cannibus, was never a "drug". Only drugs classed as "hard drugs" were ones to be feared. As addictive, and all.

I guess the general dynamics may not be terribly different with the two ( ? ) generations since, ...different drugs, ....too many for me to know about, for sure.

I wonder sometimes about how the prohibition on cannibus actually affects the mentality of so many youthful occasional users ? Doesn't it make criminals of them all ? ....at least in their mind ?
And as they know they've willingly broken criminal law, doesn't it make the next step (if taken, a BIG IF; ), ...say, trying crack, etc. ....just an easier leap ?

Really like this thread , y'all