View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Jimbo))) - I'm so sorry for what you are going through, but I'm glad you found us.

To answer your question, I was a nurse and saw many patients go through this. It was heart-wrenching for me, and I wasn't even related to them. Often, when the liver is failing, it causes toxic things to build up in the body, leading to confusion and eventual coma. This, to me, was somewhat of a blessing, as they didn't appear to be suffering.

My mom also died, at 50, of a heart condition that caused her to retain fluids and wreaked havoc with her vital signs. It was hard for her to breathe, due to the fluid.

I totally agree with hospice. Not only will they do their darndest to keep your mom as comfortable as possible, they are a tremendous support for you and your family.

I hope you continue to read/post here. Losing a loved one to alcoholism/addiction is a very hard thing, but there are a lot of us who have been through it, and it helped me to know someone knew what I was going through when my ex died. We're here for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy