Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

It might have been part of my personality anyway, genetics perhaps (I've heard rumors that my grandmother was an alcoholic, but the source is unreliable so I'm not sure what to think). I remember in 5th grade going through the DARE program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education, if you aren't familiar with it). I am actually dead set against this program, I think the way they teach about drug use/ abuse is dangerous and misleading. According to Wikipedia "Since the 1990s, independent studies of the D.A.R.E program have been conducted from selected school populations. These studies reported that D.A.R.E. did not actually decrease drug use among graduates. Some studies even indicated that there was an increased rate of drug use among D.A.R.E. graduates. In 2001, the Surgeon General of the United States placed the D.A.R.E. program in the category of 'Does Not Work.'" The entry then lists and references these studies.

Personally, it made me a little more curious about drugs, though I didn't use any drugs until 15 years later. But the thing that stuck out in my mind about what I was taught in DARE is that there really isn't a difference between drugs. The officer had this attitude that if you tried pot it was just as bad as trying coke or meth or heroin. That's just silly.

But it does make me wonder about the make-up of the brain. What is it about my brain that made me curious where the exact same information steers another kid into being scared to try it.

And I realize Wikipedia isn't really a scientific source, but this article does cite peer-reviewed literature, so I feel like it's a decent place to start.