View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jen928

jslice.....glad to have you here but sad for your mom and the emotional pain your bros and you must be going through. i am going through something very very similar although my mom isn't yet at this point, although she was five years ago. My mom was in the ER (to detox) five years ago and was very much in the same state as your mom prior to going to the hospital (laying in her own waste, etc). Going into the hospital she had the distended belly (looked like she was 8 months pregnant), yellow eyes, strange skin discolorations, varices (i might not be spelling that right), blood clot in her lung, etc. amazingly, she actually made it out of the ER and is still living to this day. Although, I don't expect that to last much longer. My mom sobered up after spending two weeks in the ER. She was sober for four years but relapsed last year and has continued to drink...lately she's back to every day and has been drinking hard cheap liquor. When she left the hospital she was told she had liver failure....and was put on all kinds of meds. How she managed to live this long is a mystery to me...especially considering she has been drinking the past year.
I have no idea how long your mom will live. All I can say is I'm sorry you're going through this and I can understand the pain that you are going through. Watching someone slowly killing themselves is absolutely horrific. Do understand you are definitely not alone.