View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
3sillybears

Finally! Now what?

My husband has been an alcoholic for 10 years. He finally admitted last week that he needed help. He drove himself (I went also) to a local facility to get help. They kept him for detox. He stayed for 6 days and they have released him to a day treatment program.

I have prayed for MANY years that he would get help. Now that he is getting help, I am unsure what to expect next. I am going to go to AlAnon meetings to help myself understand things better. I am SO worried about him relapsing. Nobody ever knew that he was an alcoholic besides me. He was able to function a normal life. A lot of his friends drink as much or more than he did and he never realized how "bad" he was until he went in this program.

I guess my question is what can I do to help him most. I don't want to babysit him (which I have felt like I had to do for many years) and I want to trust him and believe that he will never drink again, but I don't. I haven't told him that this is his last chance with us (we have 3 kids) because I don't want it to sound like a threat. What are the chances he will do this right the first time??? Is it likely that he will falter and how do I react to that?

Thanks for listening to me ramble!! Have a great day and God bless!