View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

I think, isurvived, that if your son can establish "independence" he would be eligible for more help than if you (the parents) take primary responsibility for paying for his education. What I'm talking about is a technical definition for the powers-that-be to determine how much he is eligible for.

The very first thing to do is he should fill out and submit the FASFA form. FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Doing the FASFA will establish how much federal aid (Pell Grant) he is eligible for and will automatically apply for him for certain other types of aid (such as in my case a State grant program).

I seriously recommend getting a book or two at the library on "How To Pay for College" and how to locate scholarships. There are so many different sources of free college money out there, it is insane. You just have to know where to look. The libraries usually get updates of these books each year. If your local library does not carry those books (I would be very surprised if they didn't) then your local community college library will surely have the most up-to-date versions. There are also many on-line scholarship search engines.