Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
When I was first getting clean someone on here asked me why I drew any distinction between between my alcohol problems and my drug problems. Lots of people get off one substance only to get addicted to another (i.e. they replace their DOC with something else). Addictive behavior is addictive behavior, and has very little to do with what substance you are using. The mindset and behavior is essentially the same across all substances.

I actually had much less trouble with alcohol than meth. It may be more acceptable but it was by far the lighter addiction, for me. Your post made me laugh a little though, going to seedy drug dens? I bought at your next door neighbor's house. There's a dope cook at the end of my parents' street, a neighborhood full of professors, doctors, lawyers. I bought at tidy suburban homes with kids' toys in the driveway and decent cars in the garage (and when that guy didn't have any there was a guy across the street and down three houses who could usually hook me up). I've done dope with nurses and high school teachers, regular people you would never suspect. That drug has no face. The only reason you draw any distinction between alcohol addiction and other substance addiction is because you have these preconceived ideas about who does drugs like that. I'm not trying to offend you at all, but the truth is because of your upbringing (and I was raised the same way you were, that drugs are bad) you can draw a distinction. I was terrified of drugs, too. But with the right combination of circumstances I was willing to try it. You carefully arrange things in your mind so you're a better class of druggie because you used alcohol, not other drugs. But again, addictive behavior is addictive behavior.
I understand, and believe it or not, my mother in law is a sketcher and has been for the last 20 years. I could never imagine fixing her, and she was a very bright articulate business owner at one point of her life. 2 years ago my hometown was pronounced "meth capital of the world", so I understand it is a faceless drug that many people in many classes have gotten involved with. I'm not offended, and again I wasn't trying to offend you, I guess maybe I don't understand. So I apologize for distinguishing between the two addictions.