Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Yes, I agree, and I hope I wasn't sounding like a snob to Gneiss or anyone else who has a drug addiction. But just because of my upbringing and that alcohol was always in my home, and drugs were not. I see shooting something in my arm, or snorting something up my nose as painful to begin with, plus I couldn't just run to the store to buy it, I would have to go to some seedy drug den where guys have guns etc etc. I know that isn't all true, but that perception that has been beat into my head by family, teachers and the media made it look like something that the high could never be worth. Whereas if I drink booze I get chicks and am funny an interesting in a party atmosphere...which also couldn't be farther from the truth!!
When I was first getting clean someone on here asked me why I drew any distinction between between my alcohol problems and my drug problems. Lots of people get off one substance only to get addicted to another (i.e. they replace their DOC with something else). Addictive behavior is addictive behavior, and has very little to do with what substance you are using. The mindset and behavior is essentially the same across all substances.

I actually had much less trouble with alcohol than meth. It may be more acceptable but it was by far the lighter addiction, for me. Your post made me laugh a little though, going to seedy drug dens? I bought at your next door neighbor's house. There's a dope cook at the end of my parents' street, a neighborhood full of professors, doctors, lawyers. I bought at tidy suburban homes with kids' toys in the driveway and decent cars in the garage (and when that guy didn't have any there was a guy across the street and down three houses who could usually hook me up). I've done dope with nurses and high school teachers, regular people you would never suspect. That drug has no face. The only reason you draw any distinction between alcohol addiction and other substance addiction is because you have these preconceived ideas about who does drugs like that. I'm not trying to offend you at all, but the truth is because of your upbringing (and I was raised the same way you were, that drugs are bad) you can draw a distinction. I was terrified of drugs, too. But with the right combination of circumstances I was willing to try it. You carefully arrange things in your mind so you're a better class of druggie because you used alcohol, not other drugs. But again, addictive behavior is addictive behavior.