Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Supercrew

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
This sort of suggests that if drug/alcohol use is like eating carbs, there might be some low level of use that would be manageable. I've yet to meet the alkie or druggie for whom this is true. Seems like once we start there really isn't a stopping place.
I don't see it as equating carbs to drugs/alcohol use. And no offense, but I have trouble equating alcohol abuse to drug use. Being that meth and coke and heroin and MJ are illegal and I have been told throughout my life that drugs are bad, common sense steered me as far as I could possibly go away from them. Alcohol on the other hand is legal and socially acceptable....and in some cases expected, like when you turn 21. I'm not saying it is right, but it is what it is.

If I were to use meth or heroin or cocaine, I would expect to become addicted to it and die. That was what I was taught from a very young age, and you couldn't hold me down and force it on me. Alcohol never held that stigma so I have trouble equating the two, so I apologize.

The process of quitting drinking for me has not been hard when it has made sense to me. Making sense meant causing more pain in my life than pleasure from the buzz. I want to live a sober life, and I know I can accomplish that, but I was just curious if anyone has had a drinking experience after knowing why, (scientifically) they used to drink in excess. And whether this helped them control it or moderate. Like I said this knowledge has helped me to quit, and has helped me explain why I drank the way I did. I was wondering whether this info now could also help someone to moderate, or whether the knowledge has given someone a false sense of security and proved detrimental in their recovery.