View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Angelic17

Hello Brooklyn girl, I am a Brooklyn girl too. I spent most of my life there. I still go back once or twice a week, now that I live in NJ. I'm sorry that your husband has this horrible disease called addiction/alcoholism. It's very difficult on the people who love the addict. Your doing the right thing by stepping back. Even if it doesn't feel right to you. It is.
It's a wake up call for your husband. This might be the thing he needs to work on himself, so he can get well, and be the man and husband that GOD has intended for him to be.

All of this won't be easy on you, but you must take care of yourself. That is what Alanon is all about. Teaching the family members how to love the addict, while caring for themselves. Alanon teaches coping skills while not enabling the addict.

All of this doesn't mean your marriage is over. It is a change for the better for both of you. This sounds like it's the first step in recovery for your husband, and your marriage can grow healthier and stronger from this. Try to look at the positive side of all of this. He admitted he has a problem. That's big right there. At least he's not denying it.

Your husband knows he needs help. He says he is going on Monday which is today. Let us know how this turns out for you. In the meanwhile. We are all here for you. I myself lived with alcoholism my entire life. My mother died from it, and my Grandfather died from it. It's horrible to watch and live with. The sad part is there is nothing that we can do to change the addict. Only he can change himself. And you need to take care of yourself and do what's good and right for you. It seems like your husband understands that he needs some help. That's a good thing. It's the first step.
Keep posting here. I'm glad your here.

:ghug3