Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by KariSue View Post
This really isn't in response to your question but I've heard more than one seriously overweight person say they don't have an "Off Switch" so that term caught my eye in your post.

One girl on my low carb forum has been struggling for years and finally figured out that her body cannot handle carbs (sugar or starch). When she eats about 20 carbs or less a day she says it seems like she has an "Off Switch" again. She has even seen the difference in cravings depending on what time of the day she eats the carbs. Even so much as a little milk in her coffee triggers carb cravings. She must be super sensitive to them.

I was just wondering whether diet could make a difference with the craving for alcohol as well. I know this sounds weird but I once read that alcoholics and even children of alcoholics seem to crave sugar. My husband's mom was an alcoholic but he isn't. He seems to be a sugar craver though and has the diabetes to prove it.

Kari
This sort of suggests that if drug/alcohol use is like eating carbs, there might be some low level of use that would be manageable. I've yet to meet the alkie or druggie for whom this is true. Seems like once we start there really isn't a stopping place.