View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BklynGrl

New and spilling my heart

I recently discovered my husband is an alcoholic. I guess I’ve always known it but up until now I’ve been in denial as much as he is and still sometimes think I’m overreacting. He’s not one to get fall down drunk and miss work or anything like that. But he’s drinks a six pack a day and more on off days for as long as I can remember. We met when we were young and I was a partier too, except I grew up and he turned into an alcoholic. Unfortunately or I guess I should say fortunately things came to a head recently while we were on vacation. He got sick I took him to the urgent care center and to make a long story short he spent a couple of days in detox.

We talked when he got out and he admitted that he had a problem and made a lot of promises. Fast forward to two weeks later and nothing has changed. My therapist calls it the bargaining stage. This whole experience has been my rock bottom, we have been having problems for awhile now and I’m only recently beginning to see that they are due to the alcoholism.

Last week was the roughest between his inability to act on anything he says he’s going to do and the way he goes about the day to day with me like everything is normal. We work opposite schedules for the most part and rarely see each other to begin with. We had two really bad days this week where I couldn’t even be around him or talk to him and had to leave the house.

Late last week I got to the point where I realized that being around him isn’t good for MY overall mental health. My therapist suggested I leave for a little while and maybe that will help shine some light on the situation. On Friday I talked to his mom and she really encouraged me to leave. I think hearing it from someone who loves him as much as I do gave me the kick in the ass I needed.

So when he got home that night from work I told him I was going to my dad’s house until he was sober and in a treatment program and that I thought it was best for us not to talk for a couple of days. He said he would go to an inpatient center on Monday, but I can hardly believe it will happen.

I think I’m in shock for the most part. I know leaving was the best thing to do I knew that as soon as I made the final decision. But now the reality that my marriage might be over is starting to set in.

I’m going to stop this here because I feel like I’m just rambling. But I hope this place can be of some support to me, I’ve been to two Alanon meetings and I honestly just don’t get it.