Old 08-08-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
wicked

A lot of the people who have responded to this thread, myself included, are alcoholics in recovery. I've never wielded an ax, stolen from a baby or run over a senior. But I have been in early sobriety. And that recommendation that you abstain from starting a relationship for 12 months is golden. When I first got sober it seemed excessive - now that I'm several years down the track it seems pretty moderate

I am an alcoholic in recovery, and I was married to an alcoholic/crack addict.
If BadChoices is still reading this thread, and I hope she is, please start to make good choices for yourself.
60 days is not a long term relationship, and getting very close in that short of a time is actually a red flag for both you and your addicted boyfriend. It appears there are no healthy boundaries, and maybe, just maybe you could learn something from the people who have been there and done that.
I have been married to someone I only knew six months, it was a huge mistake, and now I know better. But, I have two children I am grateful for, and they have and are going through their own private hells because their parents were so ill.
Please ask yourself, just because "it happened" why you feel the need to "help" him with his struggles? I know personally, the only person who could get me to stop drinking was me. Simple.

Babyblue, I am not projecting my horror stories on to BadChoices, I am sharing my experience of being married to an alcoholic and being a recovering alcoholic myself.
My hope is that by reading this very thread BadChoices might step back and take a look at herself, and ask herself, "why am I responsible for a grown man?"

Thank you for reading,
Beth