View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Sometimes I do still think that I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO stay with this person to help,but a person can only do so much
ExCordis, IMO there really isn't anything any of us can do to help an alcoholic or addict who does not want to get clean and sober and stay clean and sober. And even when they DO want to be clean and sober, there STILL isn't much we can do to help.

It is up to each person individually to do what is right for themselves, to learn what we need to learn, to make the efforts that are necessary to make our own selves and our own lives healthier and better. If you want to "help" him, the best thing you can do is take the BEST care of your SELF possible. That is really all any of us can do. If each of us did that, then nobody would have to worry about anyone else. But, alas, we know that is just not the way it is, don't we?

I truly recommend that you look into Al-Anon. I only wish, wish, wish I had the foresight and intelligence at your age as you so obviously do, to see that something is wrong with what is going on in your life and to try to get others' perspective. I did not even begin to be as mature and daring as you are at 19, until I was 29. I hope you soon begin to find the strength and courage to leave this person behind and get enrolled in nursing school. I hope you email me when you do, too, because you will then be the second person I have met on SR who has done that!

Click here to find an Al-Anon meeting near you. How to find a meeting in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico