Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
silkspin

Originally Posted by BadChoices View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I know that starting a relationship in these conditions is not ideal but it happened. I'm not going to leave him, I don't see how that is going to help anything. I know that drinking with him is not a good idea ever but if he is going to do it anyway or already is, what am I supposed to do??
The problems with alcohol for my AH didn't really start until many years into our relationship. We met in school and we partied hard, with many of our friends, for many years after that. It was only when others started to settle down (me included) with marriage, careers etc and stopped drinking as much, where I realized he couldn't/ wouldn't.
Even after we bought our house together and went out less, we'd have drinks together on a Friday night, playing trivial pursuit, listening to music, looking at pictures from old days and having a blast. Those days are long gone. I hardly drink anymore because it's caused such problems in our lives. I have the occasional glass of wine with friends at dinner, and just about never with him or in front of him. So if my AH is 'going to do it anyway' I can't join in, because his drinking is an issue for me. I wish we could go back to those happy go lucky days, but I'm looking at my reality. Your reality is that after 2 months, you see he continues to have problems both with drinking and with trying to stop drinking. After 2 months, you are seeking help and advice from online forums, which means you too have some issues with the situation.
No, he doesn't have the plague. But he has a serious path ahead of him one way or another - either he will keep drinking and get sicker, or he will seek recovery. Either path is a lifelong struggle for him and those surrounding him. You must ask yourself why, when faced with some harsh comments, you wrote so definitively that you won't leave him. Do you feel you will make a difference - that you can help him where others have failed, or does he make you feel superneeded like saying he couldn't get through this without you - that you're like no one else and that he could do it with you at his side? If this sounds anything like your case, please read 'codependent no more' - it was eye-opening for me! When I first realized AH's problem, my first reaction was to roll up my sleeves and get to work saving him. I thought I was helping my relationship, and now, years later, tears later, lots of bs later, I have come to realize how that attitude worked against me.

You don't have to leave him - that's the beauty of forums like this. Take what you like and leave the rest. But if the answers bug you, maybe there is a reason why. It's up to you to do what you will with that. We were all there, in that honeymoon phase, and these voices are from those who have walked in your shoes. It would be wonderful for us to have helped someone get on the right path before all the pain, but sometimes we have to walk the path of pain before we get the message.