View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find loads of information and support for yourself here. Pull out the keyboard and make yourself at home.

I see that you attended a few AA meetings. How much do you understand about alcoholism?

I needed facts on alcoholism. I needed to wrap my brain around how someone becomes addicted. I found by reading on this website the excerpts to a book "Under the Influence". Here is the link:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I also found face-to-face support at Alanon meetings. I recommend them to you and your abf (alcoholic boy friend)'s parents. The meetings are based on the same 12 steps and traditions of AA, but adapted for friends and family of alcoholics.

I am sure that your abf's parents want more than anything to see their son recovered from this addiction. That is likely why they asked you to stay involved in this situation. However, the best source of support for their son is a professional counselor, another recovering alcoholic with more experience, and/or a support group.

The three C's of alcoholism:
You did not cause this
You can not control this
You will not cure this

The cause, control and cure lie within the alcoholic. They will choose recovery when they are ready.