View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ExCordis

New here and dating an alcoholic.

Hello,this is my first post and I've been looking through and reading some posts and feel that I am in the same position (hence the fact that I am here).I've been dating this guy for 10 months now,he's 24 years old,a marine,and still lives with his parents because he cannot handle himself...to put it lightly.

When I met him he was in Iraq (we met online).We chatted through messenger and webcam for almost a month before we got together.When he first came home,I remember we went out to a hookah lounge and he had a couple of drinks.I didn't think much of it since,well he's a marine and you know those stereotypes.As months past by,I've noticed how bad it started to become.One time he even left for a couple days without talking to me and just stayed at some girl's house (who turned out to be really crazy) and drank all the time.

A few months after that,he would drink a couple times more,but it was never as bad as that time.I began to recognize his pattern (like what time he'd come home,and the fact that he won't call me if he's out)2 months ago he went to Latvia,and when he came back he just got worse,he drank more than normal and would hide drinks in his room.Then we went to AA meetings together,I felt like we were actually going somewhere with this.Then 3 weeks ago or so,he had to go train in California.He came back the same...however the past week his parents gave him an ultimatum,if he doesn't get straight in 2 months,they will kick him out.

I was planning on breaking up with him last week,but for some reason,I keep going back.I think it's because I keep hoping that he will change...we've been through a lot,and I know thats not really a good enough excuse to stay with someone who makes you cry more than smile,but I don't want to see him on the streets.Another thing is,I am a patient person...but I've waited a long time for him to get better.And I don't get half as much the effort as I put into the relationship.His family wants me to stay and help him,and I feel stuck...I'm not sure what to do anymore.