View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
wpainterw

La Femme:
This thread is a good one too. Thanks for mentioning it. My only criticism of the article is its statement that 12 step programs are ineffective without treating alcoholism by other means, such as diet, exercise, meditation, etc., all to rehabilitate the neurotransmitters. At least in my own experience, the 12 step program seemed to be essential and I did very little by way of exercise, diet, etc. The cravings went away in a few years. Now nearly 22 years of sobriety have elapsed. I have no alcohol cravings. But I continue to be watchful. The smell of booze can act as a trigger.
One last comment- some of the article's observations about the impact of alcohol on the pleasure centers of the brain were dramatically verified by me when I had been sober for a few months. It was always my practice to resume drinking when my wife went on a journey and left me alone. Thus, on a Sunday, when I had dropped my wife off at the airport, I was driving home and suddenly, without an ounce of alcohol in my system I suddenly felt so "high" as in the "old days" I might have felt if I had had three quick very dry martinis in a row. Pavlov's dog big time! My brain and its pleasure centers were saying "It's party time!" Fortunately I headed right away to an AA meeting. I didn't drink. Some folks have suggested that when this happens it helps to chew on a chocolate bar.
This is a fine article in most respects. As I have said, if you want more geek like musings from me, see my web page accessed by clicking on my name in the left margin of this message.

Wpainterw