View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
irontadpole

Thumbs up anxiety/withdrawals

yeah, i can totally relate to the anxiety issues you describe, and as mentioned above, my high-anxiety levels have been wit me many years! I'm from stoke-on-trent, and with a lot of help and hard work i am grateful not to have use alcohol or cannabis since jan. 18th 2010. Diazepam on a reducing scale is prescribed to help you through the worst of your withdrawals such as shakes, muscle tremor, vommiting etc. I attended a re-hab centre, and after the first 2 weeks on diazepam, it was then time for 18 weeks of intensive therapy dealing with my feelings & emotions, and trying to discover why it was that i had the need to spend 25+ years taking any mind altering substance to escape myself.
I had tried many times before to rid myself of my addiction, but nothing worked for me until i refered myself to The B.A.C. & O'Connor re-habilitation centre in Newcastle-under-Lyme, staffs. You can get funding for the cost of the treatment from your local council, and the amazing thing is - it works if you work it!!
The idea of 18 weeks in-house re-habilitation was hard to accept at first, and i felt i didn't have the time to commit to the program. Of course, this was my addiction trying to talk me out of it, but then i realised that 18 weeks out of a life that i was slowly destroying was a small price to pay if there was any chance of a recovery.
It certainly was not plain sailing, and took a lot of honesty, acceptance, and determination on my part, but i completed the programme, graduating on 22nd may 2010!! My life today is completly turned around, and for the first time ever i have some respect for myself and realise i'm equal to anyone else, and deserve to be happy in this life. This is all down to accepting thehelp that is out there, it's just so hard to find when trapped in the chaos of active addiction.
PLEASE get in touch with The O'connor centre on 01782 615590. If i can do it, anyone can!!! One final thing; i now do voluntry work as a recovery champion/mentor with a service user group with a very true name...R.I.O.T. which stands for Recovery Is Out There... how very true!! Best wishes, Mick C. We DO recover.....