Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
lightquest

Do what's right for you - my story

Originally Posted by yadayada View Post
Is conventional therapy ever the answer, or does it need to be someone/a group that specializes in addiction/alcoholism?

This might be answered on another thread, but I'm curious if anyone has laid out some pros/cons of individual therapy (with a general therapist/psych who might not have specialization in treating codependents/adult children etc.) versus doing something like Al-Anon on its own...
Do what's right for you. I tried individual counseling with a counselor specifically trained by Pia Mellody to address issues of codependence, self-esteem and alcoholism. The counseling was incredibly helpful.

With that said, I have re-committed to Al-Anon and find that the interaction with others and the sharing of experiences gives me greater insight and greater inspiration to work my own program.

Six years ago, when I met my alcoholic boyfriend, I had no experience wth alcoholics. When he told me he was in recovery, I accepted that he was on the road to wellness. What a road (paved with hardship, manipulation and deception!). He was doing well with sobriety, so two years ago I moved in with him. He now supports me. So....he felt that he could (secretly)go back to drinking because it would be so difficult for me to leave if I found out.

Last week, while hosting a family reunion, he had a serious ATV accident and a .25 blood alcohol level. When I finally located him at 3am under the machine on a trail in the woods and then drove him to emergency, his brain was bleeding, 4 -5 of his teeth were gone, and his ear was just hanging. He didn't remember the accident. He didn't remember me. The neurologist said its a miracle his brain is healing and he has his faculties.

I take responsiblity for being in this relationship. When we left the hospital, I told him that I was returning to Al-Anon to work on my recovery. What he chose to do was up to him - but alcohol will no longer be a part of my life. I am finally committed to my recovery. I can't tell you how good it feels.

There's no "point" to my story. I'm just sharing my experience. Best to you!
Molly

Last edited by DesertEyes; 08-02-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote