View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
HealingWillCome

Penguin, thanks for sharing your story, as I can relate to much of what you've shared here. It helps me to know that others have similar experiences.

My XABF is addicted to pot. He has been smoking it daily and often since he was 13, and he is now 49. He has struggled with great difficulty over the past year with trying to quit.

In the beginning of our relationship, I didn't know about the pot. He came to me after a 6-week breakup and confessed his addiction. He was trying to quit at the time and was seeing a relationship counselor because he wanted us to be together again. He figured if he quit the pot and his drinking, and got some counseling, we'd be able to work things out. I was naive and took him back. He eventually started smoking pot again and drinking, quit going to the counselor, and I ended up leaving him, several months later.

A couple of weeks ago when I was allowing myself to take his phone calls, he talked to me a lot about his attempts at trying to quit again. He said that his alcohol addiction hasn't been nearly as difficult to handle as his pot addiction. He was going to AA, but was thinking about finding an NA meeting because he needed to find people who could relate to the drug addiction.

I don't know how it's going for him, but I suspect he is using again because one of his young adult sons recently told my neighbor's daughter he was mad because his dad didn't leave any pot at home for him that day.

Both of his sons, in their 20's, are daily users. Both dropped out of college, one has a part-time job and lives with his full-time working girlfriend who also uses and parties heavily. The other son lives with him and has no job. This son also told my neighbor's daughter that pot is the only thing that makes him happy.

There is no doubt in my mind that pot is addictive and destroys lives and relationships in the same way alcohol does. Not all users become addicted, just like not all drinkers become addicted to alcohol.

Thanks for sharing your story. You helped me. I have read similar stories on the F&F of Substance Abusers forum. It is good to be reminded that others struggle with the same things and come out okay in the end.