View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Bucyn

This is my opinion and mine only and will likely not be a popular one: but I think alkies are completely a waste of time. Most don't get better; most get worse and worse and they suck away your life. Of those who do, many don't want to continue the relationship. Of those who do, you are still rebuilding a relationship from a huge deficit with a new person you hardly know...and one who a decade later can slide back into alkie-dom and start the hell all over.

I'm not saying they aren't worthy people and valuable in the eyes of God and society, I'm not saying they are unworthy of love or should be tortured or put to death or are unloved by even their mother. Or that they always were that way and always will be, or that they are unredeemable. I'm not saying any of that. Only that they are worthless partners the vast, vast majority of the time.

The other forum did a survey not too long ago among recovering alkies and asked, what do you miss most about what you lost due to alcohol? Very few said their partner or that they were greatful they did not lose their partner. The ones who mentioned family, mostly regretted hurting their relationship with their kids, or hurting their parents. Very little remorse or acknowledgment of what they put their spouse through. The pain they (most of them) inflicted on their partners just did not matter or concern them ever.

And that's something to think about when you are dealing with an alkie. Even if your partner stops drinking and heals, you will probably never or are unlikely to get points or credit for having stayed by them. So if you stay, you need to have a better reason than that.