Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
murrill

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
...anyone who knows me will definitely concur that my brain is wired "differently" something I've mostly liked about myself...I can visit the "box" but I definitely can't live in it...which actually, come to think of it, might be one of the reasons I liked drinking in the early days...I felt so different from everyone, and drinking helped me fit in, especially when I was vulnerable and just starting college after being something of a misfit in HS:-( Then ultimately when it got out of hand it stopped helping me fit in. Point being, I have no desire to fit in anymore, in recovery and in life, just going to be myself.
LaFemme, I think a lot of us can relate to feeling "different". I am not an "artist", but I am a bit idiosyncratic. I grew up thinking something was very, very wrong with me. My first swallow of alcohol fixed that...for a little while. Of course, it later turned on me as I continued to seek that elusive feeling I had in the beginning. Today I have learned to embrace my uniqueness. It is so much more interesting. Many people have told me that they wish they had the courage I have--to be true to myself, to dare shun society's expectations. My sole regret is that I didn't learn to do it sooner...you know, if I had known then what I know now!