Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

No judgment here either. I second Freedom's suggestion to go looking for another meeting. One not-so-awesome Al-Anon meeting shouldn't deter you from seeking support for yourself.

I was raised in a very agnostic household, in the middle of a Catholic and Italian neighborhood. I was the "odd man out" in my elementary school: the only unbaptized child. I went to an all-girl private catholic high school and wanted nothing more than to be Catholic. It didn't work out due to some stupid paperwork stuff, and suddenly, I rebelled. I was an atheist through and through and have been ever since...

until my gorgeous miracle DD was born. She changed my life forever. Through Al-Anon, I realized that all the CRAP I'd been through with my abusive, narcissistic, NUTSOID XAH *had* to happen for DD to be born. She was only born in the last year of my marriage....And her presence in my life gave me the will power to leave her father. If I had remained childless, I would still be with AH, letting him verbally abuse me, destroy my soul, and stamp out all hope.

I still don't believe in the god of organized religion...I have a hate-on for Catholicism actually. I do however believe that I had a path to follow, so I could learn about myself, and so DD could be born. This speaks to me of a higher power, an organizational force or intention...not some white bearded robe-wearing angry dude sitting on a cloud, making ridiculous proclamations. Everyday, when DD wakes me up at 5 a.m. (ARG why so EARLY?!), and smiles at me, I know there's a higher power out there.