Thread: Dating
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
URMYEVERYTHING

Originally Posted by missb89 View Post
I am wondering if I'll be able to tell the difference between a man who can enjoy a few drinks here and there without it getting out of hand, from one who will eventually let it take over his life.

It's kind of like riding a bike. Once you have been exposed to the addict's ways, it's second nature to know when something is awry. This time you have the knowledge to know if and when it happens again and to know to get off that rollarcoaster sooner rather than later. You cannot project how someone's future behavior will be or what it will lead too. You would be an anxious ball of mess if you did that. We all would. You can only go off of what their current behavior is and if he starts to get of control with his drinking (a limit you determine that is intolerable) then move on. Dating comes with ups and downs and some disappointments. Just be willing to accept that every date you experience may not be the one or a good fit and that's okay.

I'm probably over thinking this but I just don't know. Why can some people handle drinking once in a while on the weekends and some can't?
Addiction is the answer. Some people are just wired that way and have an addictive personality. Actually, most of us have an addiction to something one way or the other but the consequences are so much more less than it is with drugs/alcohol. Shoot, I add overeating into addiction. It doesn't have legal consequences as addiction but it has long term consequences such as weight gain, possible health risks and even leading to death as a result of not taking care of yourself. But, the country isn't addressing that issue. Enough of me ranting about that.

Give yourself time. If you are suspect of everyone that may be...then you aren't ready to date. I'm in that same position. I know that my trust in men right now is shot and it wouldn't be fair to anyone for me to carry that with me.