View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beantowngirl

The Case of the Missing Jewelry

Yep, pretty sure my ex stole a bunch of my good jewelry. I haven't talked to him since the end of March but just realized this past week the stuff is gone. I stored it in a jewelry box on top of a bookshelf in my bedroom and I don't really take that stuff out very often, it's not anything I really wear, just family pieces that were handed down to me that have sentimental value but aren't really my style to wear.

Anyway, definitely haven't seen the stuff since I ended things with him, and I know this is what addicts do but I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I just feel so sad and angry and betrayed. I never even really left him alone in my place, he must have done it quickly when I was in the bathroom at some point. He must have been plotting and planning it ahead of time to do it when he only had a short opportunity, that is what really hurts.

I know I was naive for thinking he wouldn't do something like that to me, even though I knew he had stolen from his brother at some point a few years back. He had told me about that and told me all about how that was a bottom point for him and how hard it was to repair that relationship and make things right again. I guess I thought he had learned his lesson and wouldn't do it again, though I think on some level I knew that might not be the case. As I said, I made sure to never leave him alone in my place so clearly there were trust issues of some sort.

So now I don't know what to do, I feel like my head is sort of clouded by anger and I don't want to do the wrong thing. But I really, really want to confront him about this. What I would like most is confirmation that he did indeed do this, I want him to have to own up to it, to say the words 'yes, I did it'. And I'd like some sort of compensation for what was stolen from me, though I can't even begin to put a price tag on this.

But I know my judgement is probably not that good right now, in the midst of this, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some perspective. I have been doing pretty well since going no contact with him, really working on myself and trying to move forward. I haven't been obsessing or worrying about him and I've been determined to leave our relationship in the past. Finding out he stole from me has been a blow, but at least it makes me even more determined to not ever go back to him. That's a line that can't be uncrossed, you know?