View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
TexasNative

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I hate the phrase 'dry drunk'.

It's not helpful...and people usually call others that as an insult...a way to place judgement on someone else's sobriety.

Obviously being sober isn't a simple thing. We're still human whether sober or not...and with that comes all of the problems and emotions of life.

Many folks find that when they stop drinking that they are dealing with an untreated mental illness. I have depression...and the depression doesn't care that I don't drink. Some days are really tough.

I get really concerned with the term being thrown around when people use it to mean anyone who hasn't found 'serenity' or whatever in being sober.

I think that when people get this misconception stuck in their heads...as though they should feel good and peaceful about sobriety...and they don't feel that way....they get discouraged and go back to getting smashed all the time.

I like to say that you don't have to feel recovery to do recovery. Dang it, if you are having days where the last thing you want to do is stay sober...yet you do stay sober...you are doing it right. That's what's supposed to happen...and the longer you spent drunk the more time it's going to take before you can heal.
I don't like it either, it's tossed around too much, usually by a sponsor that crosses the line from showing tough love towards the sponsee to being a control freak jerk that is counterproductive.