View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

I had to change my people, places and things to stay sober. Of course you can't change how other people act but you can change how you react to them. By not reacting at all usually. Letting it ride. However you can certainly inspire other people in many ways. If they don't change then you can certainly make them think.

I don't see how you can't change places and things. Just don't go there or associate with them. Of course I could get deep and go really philosophical and intellectual but this is SR and also there really ain't no point. Also I can only use my own experience of recovery. I have just became more passive in my views and don't really get involved in things like I used to. Some would say sold out to a degree (That's what I would have said before) but it's more a case that I don't want to drive myself back into drink and drugs, that doesn't smash the system but rather just myself.

I guess people struggle with this stuff to differing levels hence why they really need a militant step program. For me I had to go my own way and do what worked for me. Most of my battles were all in my my own mind and to do with my myself.

I stopped looking too deeply and decided that I could actually make sure that I changed the people (i.e. stop mixing with f*ckheads), places and things to keep me sober 'just for today'. My recovery has happened organically so I certainly think totally differently now about myself, about others, about the world and life in generally but I would have to sit and deeply think about what I actually do differently as there is so much. Much courtesy of SR and the wonderful people here who supported and inspired me.