View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TuffNut

I hate to see a thread without any replies, so even though I don't feel even remotely qualified at this point to give any sage advice, I'll share what has been working for me so far. Namely, distraction & sabotage.

Cooking healthy, clean food has been a good distraction, especially when it involves a lot of chopping of vegetables. It gets my mind onto other things, and doing something healthy for myself makes the idea of ruining my health with a drink less desirable. I used to associate a glass of wine with cooking, but I took a cue from when I quit smoking, and decided it might be the act of drinking the wine more than the wine itself that I was missing, so I have been drinking cold water from a wine glass when I cook. Might not be a great idea for everyone, but it seems to satisfy my need for the pleasurable ritual of raising a glass while I cook.

Reading true crime stories online has also been a good distraction. I'm fascinated by the criminal mind, and if I can get absorbed into an interesting story, the urge to drink fades away before I know it.

By sabotage I mean creatively sabotaging my ability to access alcohol in a weak moment. I don't see this as a foolproof strategy because it is never going to be impossible to get to alcohol if I really want to, but I feel that the more inconvenient I can make it the more likely I am to succeed with the distraction technique.

These don't qualify as things to remember as much as things to do, but for now that's all I got.