Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Opposite sex sponsorship...

Hi All.

I was told that this was not an usual course of action because it can lead to relationship problems whether married or not. There were 10 women in AA where I sobered up in a small town of 2,000 & the next town of 4,000. The first time I attended AA in the 1970's my husband was very jealous of the men in the AA Group even tho the one other woman was my Sponsor. He couldn't understand why I needed to go to a meeting every night.

He tried going to Alanon & the one other man of course was married to the woman in AA with me. He complained that all the women did was belittle their husbands for their drinking in the meetings so he quit going.

When I sobered up in 1988 there were ten of us women & we all are still sober today. I have never seen an opposite sex Sponsorship but I have seen a lot of good solid friendships, including myself, that were formed in AA & were seen as AA friendships with a passing wave if we saw a male/female member of our AA Group downtown, at the postoffice, or driving past us on the street.

Some how, but not necessarily true, your husband's actions with this other woman reminds me of what we refer to as a person working a 13th step. This involves giving a younger woman new to AA, rides, & same AA Meetings if there are more than one a week in your area.

As the others said we do not know the full story on either side. I know the girl's Father is your husband's friend but if I were that person I would not want my Father at the same meeting as I go to if her Father happens to be an alcoholic too.

I am really surprised at the number of people that haven't heard of the men sponsor men & women sponsor women suggestion/expectation. It is in place mostly because if male to female it can lead to other things & nothing is learned about the AA Program or one or the other go off on another drunk leaving the other person feeling like they might have caused it...even though no one can cause a person to drink other than the person that picks up the first drink.