View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
chicory

anvilhead wrote:
"why not set him free? why not send him out into the world? he's AN ADULT NOW. what do YOU get out of keeping him with you in a hostage situation? what need does that fill in YOU?"

my reply- more of it anyway:
He is afraid to leave. He has no where to go. No money. No job. No car. He is not a hostage. He will not leave, and is close to having a nervous breakdown at the thought of it. He is in pain, and needs medical help that the shelters dont have . He is not drinking here, or doing any drugs. If he had beer he would, and I do think he is most likely an alcoholic. He has no friends, no family other than me who can help him. He was in a shelter a year ago, and spent his days walking the streets, looking for work in the ghetto part of the city. He was able to stay there from 6 pm to 7am. He got things stolen, and carried his belongings with him, during the day on the street. he spent time going to the library, and found a few part time jobs, thru the shelter. I would take him cigarettes, and he would share them with the other homeless smokers.
he would not profess "Christianity" in order to get three meals and days in the shelter, instead he got breakfast sometimes, and a shower when it was not plugged up, and had to leave until dinner. washing your clothes out and hanging them on your bed to dry was not allowed. if you had money you could walk blocks and wash them, but how much of a priority is it, when you have nothing?
How do you think people get out of that situation? Many, many do not. Especially the mentally ill. I could not, with good conscience, put my son back there, if i am not sure whether he needs some mental help too.