View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Evey2010

missb69 -- I always used to think the phrase "get a hobby" was so mean until someone I loved said it to me and I took a moment to think about it. I decided to take his advice literally and actually took up a new hobby and it really helped me a lot. What I found was that sometimes "getting a hobby" (i.e. finding something new in life that brings you joy, something that gets you outside of life's drama and troubles, preferably something that teaches you something and is engaging, productive, etc.) is the best thing one can do for oneself.

So, in all seriousness, and not intending to be at all abrasive, I want to tell you to "get a hobby." Go out and discover the world outside yourself, outside this man and his mother, outside your own parents even... take a class or even just start reading a good book. Just DO something. As the saying goes... "the devil rides on an idle horse." And while you might not feel idle right now, you're actually just wearing yourself out running around in small circles (which is really no better).