View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AChapie

I met a fantastic man...

We met about 5 weeks ago. He told me right away, on our first date, that he had reached 13 years sober, as we chatted over coffee. He also said he had a problem in his last relationship, an 8 year committed relationshp; he hit the woman, and has been going to court ordered classes once a week for the past 9 months. He said he was provoked, but realized he made a mistake. Recently he injured his back and had gone to the doctor. He was given a script for vicodin, physical therapy and had an appointment for an MRI. I wondered about how the vicodin was going to work for him based on his history but I didn't say anything. I guess I figured he had it under control. I went away for the weekend. The day I came back he was sound asleep in the middle of the afternoon. He looked wiped out. I asked him what time he went to bed as it didn't make sense to me he was asleep at that time of day. He told me he abused the vicodin. He said he took two before his MRI and then after he decided to take the rest. He said he snorted them. He seemd to have trouble telling me the details of how he made the decision to abuse them, despite my numerous questions. I am naive to all of this. I didn't even know you could do that. My first reaction is to back out of whatever relationship we have found ourselves in. He told me he wanted to tell me what had happened to "trap himself" so he doesn't do it again. I don't trust that but also realize I don't much about addiction to drugs. I'm not under any illusions regarding keeping him from doing anything. I can't save him, cure him, fix him or in any way shape or reform him. That would be all him. My second reaction is to consider moving forward in the relationship with full disclosure, but I need to really know how to be. He has been fantastic on so many other levels. Perhaps you all can help me with that. If I do stay, for my own sake, I can not afford this level of naïveté. Your comments are welcome.