View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Thanks for the share, Hopeful4. I certainly understand where you are coming from about the anger, the short fuse, the PTSD. I have done a lot of anger work recently myself. Whenever I have dealt with people such as alcoholics and addicts, I would just get so angry and make such an idiot of myself because I could not control it. I would scream and yell, literally frothing at the mouth and spitting as I screamed, because I would get so frustrated with and angry at them. It's embarrassing to admit but there you are.

The first effective thing I learned about controlling anger was to learn how to ANTICIPATE it and therefore be able to calm it as it arises. Do things like walk away, or count, or distract myself from whatever is causing the anger to arise. Second thing, don't make excuses for myself as to why I am justified in being angry. For instance, I always said I am just impatient, which may be true, but all that was, was an excuse to continue my anger and my resultant bad behavior. Another thing I always said was how HURT I have been by the other person, and that just justified continuing to hurt my own self (anger is VERY bad for the body, mind and soul). Third, lower my expectations. The other person is HUMAN. Also, coming to believe in God has also helped in this department. And fourth, expect the BEST possible motivations in others. Look for the good in your own life everyday. This will help you to appreciate the small things he has done or does and will help keep the anger at bay. I also try to remember that life does not owe me anything and I actually have it A LOT better than MOST people on this earth.

Of course, the best way I have found to control my anger with alcoholics and addicts is to not have them in my life at all, or as little as possible. But it's totally understandable because you have made a marriage commitment and he IS making effort to get and stay sober. If I were in your position, I would definitely give yoga a try.