View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
sandrawg

I don't know if you saw my thread, but I just did the first of the 12 steps yesterday, which is admitting you're powerless, and that your life had become unmanageable. Wow, until you really start doing the steps, I don't know that you can truly grasp it.

It forced me to flash back to a lot of situations me and my ex got in, because of this disease, and it all really hit home. I got very emotional, but at the end, it felt liberating. I'm eager to keep going to al-anon, and progressing onto the next steps...I can't wait to see what the journey will hold. I really do feel so much better.

Until I started this process, I felt like you did. I wanted to just say something..anything..to make him see the light. But it's just not possible. Any recovering alcoholic will tell you that it has to happen on their own, the moment they finally realize the truth. If we were able to actually convince someone they needed help, alcoholism wouldn't be such a big problem, would it?

We'd be able to just, talk to the alcoholics in their lives, and they'd all get help.

That's another thing the 1st step helped me realize.

Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
Yeah, sandrawg...I know what you mean about staying away from her profile. It's ridiculous to look at it. It serves no purpose except to bring me down. I just want to march over to her place and tell he to get a grip and realize what she is doing! That this isn't about the two of us, it's about her saving herself!

Still working on the whole concept of being "powerless" and detachment.