View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
I know that if I brought in a case of beer (which I would not ever) , he would keep drinking till it is gone. drunk would be his state, I know. He would just say that he is having fun, with his friends all over the world, on computer. he has friends that he loves to visit, but he cant seem to do it, with out "feeling better". I dont think that is strange, in general, but he really likes who he is when he has had a beer or two, and feels more relaxed and witty. I wonder why he feels bored with it otherwise? Just needs the elation that comes with the alcohol?
This might answer your question. This is from Dr. Silkworth (The Doctor's Opinion), in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st edition. Even though Dr. Silkworth was not an alcoholic himself, he had an amazing understanding of alcoholics:

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, then cannot after a period of time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable, and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks--drinks they see others taking with impunity."

That pretty well described me to a T in between binges-restless, irritable, and discontented.