View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TeM

Thanks for the replies. I'm on an older computer, and I can't seem to reply to individual posts. I'll try to briefly address the questions here.

Sandrawg, you've hit the nail on the head. I've pointed this out to her several times in our "discussions". She just stares off into space and doesn't reply, even when sober. The thing that frustrates me is that she's always been so finicky about health issues, almost to the point of hypochondria... yet she's systematically poisoning her liver with alcohol. I don't get it.

Still Waters, thanks for asking. I don't have a plan yet, but I'm working on one. I think I've been deluding myself until recently that she might quit, but that doesn't look so likely now. Right now I'm doing as HanahGoodness suggested, trying to be there for my daughter. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

I used to drink on occasion... a beer or two or a Bloody Mary, but I've given it up completely after seeing what it's done to AW.

Our finances are less than wonderful, due mostly to foolish credit card debt (for which I have to take part of the blame), but we'll maintain as long as I have a job. I can't do anything drastic right now, because we're upside down in our house. Besides, I'd like to keep things as stable as possible while our daughter is still living with us. Once she moves out, I'll have to step back and take inventory.

Fortunately, AW isn't abusive or dangerous to anyone but herself when she drinks. I do worry about her falling or setting the house on fire if she's here alone, but I don't really know how to guard against that. Mostly, she just drinks herself into a stupor and sits there. It's painful to watch, and I feel like I should be able to help her, but all the research I've done on this subject tells me I can't.

Thanks again to all of you. I suspect that I'll be visiting often.