View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ladyamalthea

Chicory,

I hope with all my heart that you understand that no one here is accusing you of being difficult or in denial. We have all been at the stage of loving our addicts to death that you are in now. We understand your position far more than I think you realize we do. We have all had that inner dialogue about why we should keep protecting our loved one, that no one else understands because they have not been in our shoes. But unfortunately, we have been there more times than we like to admit, and if we don't admit our experiences, we cannot learn from them or hope to help others to learn either.

By all means, as long as he is willing to participate, take him to another psychiatrist. But here's the thing: if he lied to this woman he saw last time, and I remember you saying you thought he may have, he'll just lie again. And psychiatrists cannot help people who are not willing to take their help. Also, like others have pointed out, alcohol and antidepressants are not a good combination. So he would have to be willing to be 100% sober, especially while his body is getting used to the meds, which can take months.

We all care about you and wish you well. I hope you'll keep coming back, and keep posting. I promise it will get easier.