View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
chicory

Dear Pelican,

I can't say that taking him to the doctor was a waste of time. I took him, to find out if he has a mental disease. He did not even realize that it was a psychiatrist.
So, since one said bipolar2, and the next said, nothing wrong, I am wondering.
If I knew that he was capable of helping his self, I would be very happy, but I am not sure. the homeless shelters are full of mentally ill people who cannot help themselves . Mentally ill folks are arrested every day, who have no one to help them. they just get arrested, fined, cannot pay, have a warrant filed, get arrested again- so on and so on.

I decided to find out, if I could, whether he has a mental illness, and if so, to get him help.
I am not sure whether he is not delusional, sometimes, about his situation. He gets ideas that no one can talk him out of, about the economy ,about whether he is trying hard or not, about why his sisters wont help him more. a lot of it is manipulation, i think, but sometimes, i see something that really makes me ill with worry.

When I took him back into my home, he was such an anxious mess- his nerves were shot, he was so thin, not eating, and I did not see where else he could go. He was so grateful, but as time has gone on, he is more and more frustrated. He seems to be more afraid to get out there, as time passes. He has no confidence.

I just feel there is something more here, than an addiction or just lazy and irresponsible. there is something else. He has not sold my things, to drink. He has physical problems, something in his face which is causing him great irritation. a dental xray showed something in the sinus area, and I have an appt with a university hospital soon, to see what it is. He cant do this his self, with no car, no license, no money. He has had this problem for about 10 years, with no help. I worry that it may be a tumor, or polyps, and hope that help for it will make him feel better anyway, as I let go in the ways that i feel i should.

I do appreciate your opinion, but I think that it is important that people get help for mental issues, and they dont do it in shelters- he was in one, and bless them, they have all they can do to feed, and shelter the ones who have need. they have psycologists, to talk to, but the only one here was a Christian one, and there were some strange folks running things - not all but some. My son is not the kind to profess faith, just cause it gets him brownie points, and he did not wish to p[romise to snitch on his fellow shelter mates, in order to have priveledges (staying in the shelter all day, and having three meals, instead of being out at 7am, on the streets, until 8 at night) he did appreciate the people for the most part, and i felt that he did benefit from it, tho when his friend came to get him out , i worried that it would delay his hitting bottom, and it did, I am sure.
I began to see the physical side of something going on, and vowed to help him. he has never been the kind to ask for anything. he never asked to come here, never asked me for cig. money, never asked for anything. i have been the one to offer it.
I was very poor as a child, and the child of two alcoholics, and knew how it feels to have nothing,and to be afraid. I pray for each person i see who is in need, each homeless person breaks my heart. I cannot stand the injustice of the homeless being over looked in this country. many are there by choice, but not all.
so, I am here to learn, and as I said, its gonna be hard.