View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Larkspur

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
The crazy thing about alcoholism is that the longer we drink, the lower our standards become for saying "I'm really not THAT bad." I thought I'd never take a morning drink until, one day, I did.
One thing that actually helped me make a decision to quit was coming here and reading all the threads from newcomers talking about how much they drink, and wondering whether they really have a problem.

I don't know if I am allowed to say this, 'cause it could come across as judgmental, but there were a lot of threads where people were drinking amounts I found alarmingly large, a lot more than me, but - just like me, had a job, and no severe problems, and weren't drinking during the day - so they kept wondering 'Does this make me an alcoholic'? I kept thinking, 'I don't know, but it seems obvious you have a big problem, so does it matter?!' I think I've realised denial starts early and can last a really long time.

Anyway, take it a day at a time and don't think about "never drinking again" right now. Just work on getting through day 7. We're behind you all the way!:ghug3
Thank you, this seems like a really good community.