View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

hi ShellCrusher...and WELCOME to SR. The people here are wonderfully supportive and surprisingly loving for a bunch of strangers scattered across the globe!

SR saved my life. It's thanks to this place and Al-Anon that I was able to leave my AH and take my DD (dear daughter) with me. Coincidentally, it's because of SR, Al-Anon and leaving my husband that I came to believe in a Higher Power. Maybe not the old toga-wearing beared guy from my Catholic school days, but *something* that gave me the opportunity to leave, save my baby girl, and begin my life again, away from the madness of her father's abuse and drinking. It's not a pre-requisite to going to Al-Anon though. Some people there just talk about HP as "fate", while others never really "adopt" a Higher Power. They can however benefit from the support and camaraderie of being in Al-Anon.

I like the boundary that you have begun to enforce. I encourage you to flesh it out (and others) further as they come to you. My first boundary was "I will not buy you any more beer". The next was "I will not stay in your presence when you are intoxicated". The big one "I will leave if you verbally abuse me". As I enforced my boundaries more, my AH's attitude changed. He felt the shift of "power"; he felt himself losing his hold on me. He got desperate. That's when I was glad to have consulted *several* lawyers.

I encourage you to quietly do the same. It can only help you to be properly informed about your rights and obligations in your geographical area. I went in with the attitude that I did not want to deprive my XAH of his child; in fact, I WANTED him to have a good solid relationship with his daughter, but in the end, booze and selfishness won over and he no longer sees her.

Anyhow, I digress.

Welcome. Keep reading. Keep posting. SR is open 24/7