Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Round234

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Now you're getting somewhere.

It really doesn't matter if he's an alcoholic or not. And there's no way a bunch of people on the internet can tell you whether he is. What matters is what you want in your life. I would venture to guess that most of us were/are in relationships with people who had both good and bad traits. In my case, my husband definitely progressed from "not so bad" to totally unacceptable. That's not to say everyone who drinks will.

The problem for me was that I compromised my values. In the beginning, only a little bit. But, as time went on, I accepted more and more unacceptable behavior. Have you heard the story about the frog in the pot of water? That was me.

So, the key question here is not whether he is an alcoholic, heavy drinker, alcohol abuser, or whatever. The key is what are you willing to accept in your life. If drinking every day is unacceptable to you, you have every right to feel that way. There's nothing wrong with "being picky" when it comes to a partner. In fact, I wish I had been a lot more picky. The rub is, you don't get to change him. You can only decide if he is who you want based on who he is, not who you wish him to be.

L

This is a very good response! I agree.