Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adepitice

Originally Posted by incognito70 View Post
It makes it kinda hard to realize how bad/ not bad things are.

My boyfriend does not lie, cheat, say mean things, never comes home drunk, never leaves and goes off with friends, never goes to the bar. I never have to wonder where he is.

He has good freinds, well respected at work, good family..

As a matter of fact? He's more functional than the NON-alcoholics I know.

He works every day, has had the same good job for 15 years. He gets up at 3 am, ALWAYS makes sure he's in bed by 7-8 pm .. never like.. goes out drinking and ends up missing work.

He always comes right home. He doesnt have anything to do with other women.

He's very nice looking and very clean. Showers twice a day. His house is very nice and clean. He pays all bills responsibley.

He never drinks and drives. ever.

He's a good cook and makes decent meals even if its just him home and I am at my house that day ( I do not live with him).

He's very sweet, affectionate and thoughtful to me and my kids.

He's just... honestly very perfect. Very responsible. . Aside from the beer attached to his hand.

But even after I know he's had 8 beers or so? He isnt annoying or loud or slurry or stumbling.. he doesnt get overly all, "Oh gaaawd I love yooou" like some drunks are. He never gets mean. He doesnt get mouthy. Just... nothing, almost nothing is different. If I had to pick something that changes its that he'll tell the same stories.

I wonder why he choses to drink? Habit? I wonder how things would change if he quit.

He has told me he wants to. He didnt drink one night and he told me how good and clear headed he felt the next day. He has very good control, meaning, he doesnt drink at all during the day all week. he quits when its bedtime. if he has drank to much he knows and stops. he never stays up just so he can drink or anything.

Does anyone else have an alcoholic SO like this? I want him to quit because.. you just cant drink that much every. single. day for 25 years and have no medical consequences.

But Im kind of scared it might change him.
I'll be brutal here: I simply don't believe you. You list all these wonderful things about your man and yet you are typing on a recovery site instead of beeing there enyoing all the beautiful things this man does for you.

Till you are not 100% honest, nobody can help you even yourself.