Thread: Going back down
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2004, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MootPoint
we're all mad here!

What Kelly said.

I'm an alcoholic and addict. I self medicated to ESCAPE the anxiety and depression. These were always there. Catch-22........ alcohol and drugs reduce your ability to handle stress and depression. You get used to the effects of the drugs and lose your normal coping mechanisms.

Now that I'm off drugs and booze, they are there again. Just taking away the substances didn't take away my mental dependency.

So, my advice to you would be to see a doc and get out to those meetings! I know getting out to the meetings is scary (boy do I know anxiety), but once you do, a whole new world will open. Addicts helping addicts. You'll get phone numbers to call when you have probs.

Now to your question, finally..
On its own, the anxiety and depression will slowly get better as you redevelope coping skills. You will slowly learn how to deal with the mental aspect of the disease. I don't have prescription coverage so I am limited in the meds I can get... I'm learning to deal with alot of it with a bit of help from my doc.

If you go to a doc, s/he might be able to explain to your family why you are having probs.