Thread: Disengaging...
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kittyboo

Faraway- I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

My father was/is a diagnosable narcissist. He actually disowned me 2 years ago.

Hmmmm, kinda makes sense why I always seem to be searching for love from emotionally unavailable men

Anyhoo, it's a difficult thing for a daughter (anyone) have a parent who just absolutely can cut them off emotionally....really seem to not care.
Actually, my mother is very distant from me emotionally too, so I got lucky twice!

Right before my father disowned me I finally came out to him that I had been sexually abused by my stepfather when I was a child... do you know what his response was?
"I can't believe you didn't trust ME enough to tell me this before! Now I have to live with knowing this too".

YUP! How can a father make the sexual abuse of his daughter about him? That's how.

I am 34 now and he would still yell at me and tell me "You WILL do this...."

I don't really have any close family. Something that sometimes saddens me... but I will say that not having a relationship with my father is the healthiest thing for me. It's not natural to not have a relationship with your own parents, but when that relationship is unhealthy or detrimental, then no relationship is what is best. And that is with ANY relationship.

I commend you for doing what is best for YOU.